How to wake up early – 7 tips!

Posted in Self-improvement
on April 1, 2017

Ah, how I love the early mornings. Especially in the spring and summertime. Daylight kicks in, birds are chirping, silence is all around me, and there’s something special about the fresh air of a young morning. And not to mention, I can start my day with actually doing something productive. Waking up early is a huge motivation for me to get some work done and begin my day energized and refreshed.

I made it sound like it’s easy peasy to wake up early, didn’t I? But unfortunately… it’s not. At least in the beginning of setting up this routine. So, I thought I could share my tips with you that helped me jump right off the bed as soon as I open my eyes (unless it’s 2 AM, I would then rather close my eyes again, ha!).

So here we go.

My 7 tips on how to be an early bird (without flying around with your eyes shut)

Get enough sleep

It’s easy to expect from yourself to rise and shine early, but if you go to bed past midnight, you’ll probably give up in about… 2 days. If you don’t get enough sleep you will definitely not be as productive as you want to be. However, you will be tired at first (more on that later) in the process of trying to wake up early, but this is completely normal.

If you’re someone who consistently sleeps late, try to develop the habit of sleeping at an early time. Or try to get some sleep during the day. If you’re a mom, catch up on sleep when your kids are napping or having quiet time. If that’s not possible, try to sleep early or in between feedings in the evening. Same goes for the working individual and the other busy bees out there.

Drink water

One of the first things you should do is drink some water. You’ll be amazed at the effect of this simple act on your body. you will feel more awake and your organs will thank you for it. Everything will work properly at the time you consume your delicious breakfast.

Eat a healthy breakfast

Eat foods that give you energy in stead of wear you down. Especially during breakfast. Let’s keep this point a bit broader. Eat healthy throughout the day! You need to give your body the nourishment it needs in order for it to be healthy and full of energy. By the way, forget the effect of healthy eating on your body (actually, don’t), the results you will get on your brain are maybe even much greater. Your body and mind need the right fuel to perform the best they can; you can’t expect otherwise.

Don’t overthink it

Yup. You have to mute out your thoughts when you wake up early and want to get out of bed. I think you know what I mean:

“What do 5 more minutes of sleep matter? I’m going to wake up anyway!”
“It’s so cold out there!”
“I need my sleep sosoooo much.”
“Why can everyone sleep, but me?”
“Tomorrow… I will wake up early tomorrow.”

Been there.

If you’re going to let those thoughts torture get to you, you will definitely, and I repeat, definitely fall back asleep. In addition to that: you will dread falling back asleep when you wake up the second time. Action point: as soon as you open your eyes, throw your duvet away (watch out for your husband) and get up. You will get better at waking up early sooner or later. This brings me to the next point:

Power through – you will get used to it.

Trust me. Eventually, you will develop a routine that will cause you to wake up early like it’s no one’s business. Yes, it’s kinda hard at the beginning, but it will get easier over time. It will even get to a point where you don’t even want to sleep in.

Let me tell you a little story.

I have an adorable baby of almost 6 months old now, and because I have been up late due to feeding her and up early (yes, another feed),  I have been sleep deprived for months, to say the least. So my husband kindly (understatement of the year) offered to help out and watch my 2-year-old in the morning so I can get some sleep. Every time I slept a few hours after the first feeding, I woke up in the grumpiest mood. Every. Time. No refreshing, life giving sleep in the morning. It works so much better for me to stay awake and do something because I’m used to it. I have to stick with getting a nap or sleep in between feedings for now.

Have something to do

This is an important one. Have something to look forward to doing in the morning. Sometimes I get crafty (sewing for my business) or I get blogging. Sometimes I even clean and prepare breakfast before the apples of my eye wake up. You’ll be pleased with all the work you can do.

Don’t burn yourself out

Don’t be hard on yourself. If it doesn’t work for you if you try to set up a routine in consecutive days, try at another time. If it’s important to you, you will get there, promised!

In conclusion, you really don’t have to be a morning person to be an early bird. Everyone can achieve this, it just takes some work at the beginning. But believe me, you will be catching yourself one day, waking up with a smile on your face, exciting to start your day at a time you’re considering way too early at this moment.

I would love to hear from you! Do you have some tips on how to wake up early? Leave them in the comment section!

Be happy,

Are you loving this?
Subscribe so I can update you when there’s more!

37 Comments

• Deborah

I totally agree about not having restful sleep after the morning feed. Getting up just seems to work better. Loving your blog!

April 18, 2017 at 8:07 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thank you Deborah! Early mornings are the best, don’t you think?

April 18, 2017 at 6:35 pm Reply
  • Tricia

This is just what I needed to stumble upon. I start summer classes today & it was such a struggle crawling out of bed this morning! Gonna try these tips & hope for an easier morning tomorrow 🙂 Thank you for the tips!

June 12, 2017 at 11:13 pm Reply
    • Envelle

I’m glad that you found my tips useful and I hope they’ll work for you. Good luck with your classes!

June 14, 2017 at 6:16 am Reply
  • Jessie

Great tips! Getting up early is something I really struggle with. I’ll be trying these for sure. Thanks.

June 12, 2017 at 11:30 pm Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Jessie! Let me know if they’ve worked for you!

June 14, 2017 at 4:48 pm Reply
  • Mindy

These are great tips for waking up early! There definitely has to be something to do in order to want to wake up. It helps for me in that way!

June 13, 2017 at 12:02 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thank you Mindy! That’s one great motivation for me too!

June 14, 2017 at 4:50 pm Reply
  • Davi

I’m a morning person and can’t sleep in so waking up early comes naturally. I agree that getting enough sleep and a healthy breakfast is the best way to start a day!

June 13, 2017 at 12:02 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Davi! Yes! I find that if I don’t get one of them, my morning doesn’t go as I want it to go.

June 14, 2017 at 4:50 pm Reply
  • Amanda (Daphnie's Mom)

I am the furthest from a morning person. I need to get myself moving in the morning and it will definitely start with getting enough sleep. I am typically a night owl.

June 13, 2017 at 12:06 am Reply
    • Envelle

There’s nothing wrong with being a night owl if that works for you. But if you want to make the switch to being a morning person I totally think that’s possible!

June 14, 2017 at 4:51 pm Reply
  • Gemma

Really needed this list right now! I’ve been so bad with my sleep habits lately. You’re right though, I do just need to power through it!

xoxo
    Gemma | http://www.whatgemmadid.com

June 13, 2017 at 12:23 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Gemma! That’s one huge tip indeed. If you know that in the end you’ll achieve your goal, it’s a lot easier to keep trying (so you can succeed!).

June 14, 2017 at 4:53 pm Reply
  • Shannon

I start my early morning fitness routine by waking up early in 30 minute increments as I adjusted.

June 13, 2017 at 4:20 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks for the wonderful tip Shannon!

June 14, 2017 at 4:53 pm Reply
  • Delphine

I agree with you, early mornings are great. I do a yoga class at 6am and I feel energised for the whole day. But you’re right, it does require some training!

June 13, 2017 at 7:18 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Delphine! That sounds like a great way to start the day.

June 14, 2017 at 4:54 pm Reply
  • Zineb

On weekends and days I don’t have to do anything I tend to stay in bed for a couple of hours after I woke up it’s a terrible habit that I’m trying to overcome. Waking up early for school/work is never easy. It’s never been easy for me.

Love always,

Zineb

June 13, 2017 at 8:49 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Zineb! I truly believe that if you want to be able to get up early, you can achieve that with some effort.

June 14, 2017 at 4:56 pm Reply
  • Mama802

During the Spring/Summer months I like leaving the blinds open a little – so we can wake up with the Sun.

June 13, 2017 at 1:44 pm Reply
    • Envelle

That’s a great tip Mama802, thanks! There’s no better waking up than waking up with sunlight!

June 14, 2017 at 4:57 pm Reply
  • Sarah

I just think about my early morning coffee. Man I love that coffee. I get up at 5:15, help my husband get his lunch ready for work, and then I get to enjoy my coffee for about an hour before the kids wake up. It’s glorious. Great post!

June 13, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reply
    • Envelle

Wow Sarah, that sounds amazing! I hope that you will have a lot of those mornings! Thanks!

June 14, 2017 at 5:00 pm Reply
  • Tracy Babler

I can always wake up early when I procrastinate on something that has to get done that day. Otherwise I’m hopeless!

June 13, 2017 at 5:24 pm Reply
    • Envelle

There you go! If you do this daily, it’ll be a piece of cake to get up early, with or without a procrastinated task! Your body adjusts easily to new habits if you stay consistent in them.

June 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm Reply
  • Lacee

Great tips for making me get out of bed! I’m a teacher so I am already getting used to sleeping in. Ha!

June 13, 2017 at 7:02 pm Reply

Thanks Lacee!

June 14, 2017 at 5:05 pm Reply
  • Abigayle de Guzman

Very easy and useful tips. I’ve been sleeping at around 5-6 am and waking up around 2-3pm and that’s not really an ideal schedule. I like waking up earlier in the morning because I accomplish more.

June 13, 2017 at 9:55 pm Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Abigayle! If you want to turn your schedule around, I hope that my tips will help you out!

June 14, 2017 at 5:07 pm Reply
  • Darlene Dee

This is great! I need to read this every day LOL. I KNOW that I should get up before the toddler but I just love sleep SO much ahahahah.

June 13, 2017 at 11:16 pm Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Darlene! Haha, you’re welcome to my blog every day!

June 14, 2017 at 5:08 pm Reply
  • Danielle

Oddly, I’ve been getting up earlier and earlier the past few days. It’s amazing because I get a lot done before the kids wake up.

June 14, 2017 at 12:26 am Reply
    • Envelle

Thank you Danielle! That’s great! I also love the fact that I can do a lot before my kids wake up. Way to go!

June 14, 2017 at 5:09 pm Reply
  • Lexi @ TheGirlOnTheT

I used to be such a night owl (and still am) so waking up early has been tough for me. With my old job I had to wake up at 5:30 every day but now I’m able to get up at 6:30, which is pretty glorious. I’ve always been jealous of morning people!

June 14, 2017 at 2:53 pm Reply
    • Envelle

Thanks Lexi! I think that waking up at 6:30am is pretty glorious too!

June 14, 2017 at 5:09 pm Reply
  • Georgiana Quaint

I found out it is great for me to do a quick (like 5 minute) excercise, it really wakes me up and makes my blood flow if that makes sense. Also drinking water is important because we did not drink for few hours during the sleeping time.

Visit a picturesque medieval town in Germany in my new travel blog link

June 15, 2017 at 7:40 am Reply