Why you should wake up earlier than your kids do + 7 tips

Hi there!

We, as moms of small children, love to sleep. Oh, why you ask? Well, because most of the time, we don’t get as much sleep as we need to get. So, the thought of getting up earlier than our kids do makes us cringe a bit. We consider ourselves lucky if the apples of our eyes wake up just 5 minutes later.

But here I am… I’ve woken up at 5.45AM and I’m working on this blog post. I love it. Even though I love me some extra sleep because I still have to wake up at night to go to my youngest to soothe her.

Why I love to wake up earlier than my kids:

First of all, the time that I have in the early morning is plainly said me-time. I get to spend it however I want. So, staring blankly at the wall will not happen, basically.

I’m making this time count.

When I wake up early, I spend my time on the blog that you’re reading right now. This is truly my passion project.

Secondly, I don’t need time to wake up when my kids wake up. This is huge for me! The times that I woke up when they did, I had to cope with their (high-leveled) energy right away. Which made me cranky sometimes. When I wake up earlier than they do, I’m awake, refreshed, and I feel good because I’ve tackled some work.

But, truth be told, it isn’t always easy to wake up early. Especially if you’re a night owl. However, I strongly believe that if you really want to accomplish something, you’ll be able to. You just need the right tools and some motivation along with it.

That’s where Envelle comes to the stage. I’ve got some tips on how to be an early bird (without flying around with your eyes shut).

Get enough sleep

It’s easy to expect from yourself to rise and shine early, but if you go to bed past midnight, you’ll probably give up in about… 2 days. Bonus: you’ll be shattered for a major part of your day. If you don’t get enough sleep you will definitely not be as productive as you want to be.

If you’re someone who consistently sleeps late, try to develop the habit of sleeping at an early time (read my tips on how to go to sleep early here). Or try to get some sleep during the day. If you’re a mom, catch up on sleep when your kids are napping or having quiet time. If that’s not possible, try to sleep early or in between feedings in the evening.

Drink water

Have a bottle of water at your nightstand and drink some water as soon as you wake up. This will kicstart your metabolism, and make you feel a lot more awake.

Eat a healthy breakfast

Eat foods that give you energy instead of wear you down. Especially during breakfast. Let’s keep this point a bit broader. Eat healthy throughout the day! You need to give your body the nourishment it needs in order for it to be healthy and full of energy. By the way, forget the effect of healthy eating on your body (actually, don’t), the results you will get in your brain are maybe even much greater. Your body and mind need the right fuel to perform the best they can; you can’t expect otherwise.

Have something to do

This is an important one. Have something to look forward to doing in the morning. Sometimes I get crafty (sewing for my business) or I get blogging. Sometimes I even clean and prepare breakfast before the apples of my eye wake up. You’ll be pleased with all the work you can do.

Start with thinking what you can do vs. what you can’t do (sleep)

This goes hand in hand with the previous one. When you open your eyes, think of what you’ll be doing in the next hour and get excited. Tell yourself that this will be the only time when you can get some work done without caring for your kids.

Power through – you will get used to it.

Trust me. Eventually, you will develop a routine that will cause you to wake up early like it’s no one’s business. Yes, it’s kinda hard at the beginning, but it will get easier over time. It will even get to a point where you don’t even want to sleep in.

Let me tell you a little story.

I have an adorable baby of almost 6 months old now, and because I have been up late due to feeding her and up early (yes, another feed),  I have been sleep deprived for months, to say the least. So my husband kindly (understatement of the year) offered to help out and watch my 2-year-old in the morning so I can get some sleep. Every time I slept a few hours after the first feeding, I woke up in the grumpiest mood. Every. Time. No refreshing, life-giving sleep in the morning. It works so much better for me to stay awake and do something because I’m used to it. I have to stick with getting a nap or sleep in between feedings for now.

Don’t burn yourself out

Don’t be hard on yourself. If it doesn’t work for you if you try to set up a routine in consecutive days, try at another time. If it’s important to you, you will get there, promised!

In conclusion, you really don’t have to be a morning person to be an early bird. Everyone can achieve this, it just takes some work at the beginning. But believe me, you will be catching yourself one day, waking up with a smile on your face, exciting to start your day at a time you’re considering way too early at this moment.

I would love to hear from you! Do you have some tips on how to wake up early? Leave them in the comment section!

Be happy,

37 responses to “Why you should wake up earlier than your kids do + 7 tips”

1. Deborah says:

I totally agree about not having restful sleep after the morning feed. Getting up just seems to work better. Loving your blog!

2. Tricia says:

This is just what I needed to stumble upon. I start summer classes today & it was such a struggle crawling out of bed this morning! Gonna try these tips & hope for an easier morning tomorrow 🙂 Thank you for the tips!

3. Jessie says:

Great tips! Getting up early is something I really struggle with. I’ll be trying these for sure. Thanks.

4. Mindy says:

These are great tips for waking up early! There definitely has to be something to do in order to want to wake up. It helps for me in that way!

5. Davi says:

I’m a morning person and can’t sleep in so waking up early comes naturally. I agree that getting enough sleep and a healthy breakfast is the best way to start a day!

6. I am the furthest from a morning person. I need to get myself moving in the morning and it will definitely start with getting enough sleep. I am typically a night owl.

• Envelle says:

There’s nothing wrong with being a night owl if that works for you. But if you want to make the switch to being a morning person I totally think that’s possible!

7. Gemma says:

Really needed this list right now! I’ve been so bad with my sleep habits lately. You’re right though, I do just need to power through it!

xoxo
    Gemma | http://www.whatgemmadid.com

• Envelle says:

Thanks Gemma! That’s one huge tip indeed. If you know that in the end you’ll achieve your goal, it’s a lot easier to keep trying (so you can succeed!).

8. Shannon says:

I start my early morning fitness routine by waking up early in 30 minute increments as I adjusted.

9. Delphine says:

I agree with you, early mornings are great. I do a yoga class at 6am and I feel energised for the whole day. But you’re right, it does require some training!

10. Zineb says:

On weekends and days I don’t have to do anything I tend to stay in bed for a couple of hours after I woke up it’s a terrible habit that I’m trying to overcome. Waking up early for school/work is never easy. It’s never been easy for me.

Love always,

Zineb

• Envelle says:

Thanks Zineb! I truly believe that if you want to be able to get up early, you can achieve that with some effort.

11. Mama802 says:

During the Spring/Summer months I like leaving the blinds open a little – so we can wake up with the Sun.

12. Sarah says:

I just think about my early morning coffee. Man I love that coffee. I get up at 5:15, help my husband get his lunch ready for work, and then I get to enjoy my coffee for about an hour before the kids wake up. It’s glorious. Great post!

13. I can always wake up early when I procrastinate on something that has to get done that day. Otherwise I’m hopeless!

• Envelle says:

There you go! If you do this daily, it’ll be a piece of cake to get up early, with or without a procrastinated task! Your body adjusts easily to new habits if you stay consistent in them.

14. Lacee says:

Great tips for making me get out of bed! I’m a teacher so I am already getting used to sleeping in. Ha!

15. Very easy and useful tips. I’ve been sleeping at around 5-6 am and waking up around 2-3pm and that’s not really an ideal schedule. I like waking up earlier in the morning because I accomplish more.

16. This is great! I need to read this every day LOL. I KNOW that I should get up before the toddler but I just love sleep SO much ahahahah.

17. Danielle says:

Oddly, I’ve been getting up earlier and earlier the past few days. It’s amazing because I get a lot done before the kids wake up.

• Envelle says:

Thank you Danielle! That’s great! I also love the fact that I can do a lot before my kids wake up. Way to go!

18. I used to be such a night owl (and still am) so waking up early has been tough for me. With my old job I had to wake up at 5:30 every day but now I’m able to get up at 6:30, which is pretty glorious. I’ve always been jealous of morning people!

19. I found out it is great for me to do a quick (like 5 minute) excercise, it really wakes me up and makes my blood flow if that makes sense. Also drinking water is important because we did not drink for few hours during the sleeping time.

Visit a picturesque medieval town in Germany in my new travel blog link